Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Should Christian Women Cover Their Heads?"

"Welcome to Keeping The Home: Should Christian Women Cover Their Heads?"

Many people looking into this part of the Christian Bible have written that they would like to hear more women talk about the Apostle Paul's instructions on head covering. I try to post as many of those writings as I can, as I find them on the internet. Perhaps most old books and extended studies found online seem to be written by men, but women certainly write more about actually covering their heads for prayer. The study shared here is one of those good, thoughtful women who is certainly not merely covering because her husband or her church family "told her to", but because of much study and prayer. In her introduction she writes:

I've looked at it from the angle that the covering is the woman's hair, or that the covering is only the spiritual covering of the husband, that the covering is not for today, and the view that covering is for today, and should be observed. Which is right? I don't want man's traditions, nor do I care if all women covered in history. I only care about what God wants. I don't care if the church I attend agrees with it or not, and if I cover, I don't care if I'm the only one in the world to do so. If God's Word says to do it, then I'm in.
Some folks do care a great deal about what their church family, or their physical family, thinks about this issue. I like how she's summed this up though. She discusses the passage in 1 Corinthians 11 and the meanings behind the words. She talks about what inferences can be made from this passage. She even explains the how-to of head covering, and where to find head coverings (from Wal Mart to online stores). A few comments were made pointing out their own conflicting understandings of this passage as well. Please read.

"But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered." -1 Corinthians 11:5-6

5 comments:

kiera kristinsdottir said...

Hey there, Kiera/Kristin here!

Look what I found! A feminist headcoverer; here's her essay, from 1979:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=202174713378

Michelle Maddocks said...

What a neat article, Kiera/Kristin!! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Lucy said...

http://www.amish-furniture-home.com/blog/the-amish/a-brief-history-of-bonnets-from-mens-attire-to-easter-bonnets-and-amish-bonnets/

http://juandry.blogspot.com/2009/09/topi-topi-paling-unik-di-dunia.html

margaret said...

It's still sooooo husband oriented. I don't think I've ever come across an article that made much of why anyone should cover their head if they don't have a husband to be submissive to.

margaret said...

Sorry, I meant the article linked to in the text, not the Suzanne Brogger one because that isn't connected to worship which is what I'm interested in :)