Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Beginning to Cover in Public

"With God's help"
By Ben Shalev, in haaretz.com

In an interview with Israeli singer-songwriter, Etti Ankri, read of personal conviction in wearing modest clothing and a headcovering.

A few years ago, Ankri began covering her hair, a choice that surely did not help her career. But here, too, she had no choice. "I yearned to put on a head covering," she says.

Can you explain this?

"No stage in the process of becoming religious comes because 'someone told me to do it.' It happened by itself. At first I would go out as usual, wearing a miniskirt and ... then I felt my legs were exposed so I put on pants under the skirt. And then I started feeling that my arms were exposed, so I started wearing a blouse over tank tops, and then I started feeling that my head was exposed. I really felt this. At first I only wore a head covering when I was preparing food for Shabbat. I told myself it's more aesthetic. Then I started wearing it on Shabbat. Then during the week as well, but only inside the house, and if someone came in, I would immediately take it off. It's funny. After all, covering up is for modesty, and when someone comes in you take it off?

"Afterward I allowed myself to go out like that into the courtyard, and then to the supermarket. It was very hard, and in this way I did it in stages. A friend who doesn't wear a head covering told me before I started wearing one, 'When I light candles I wear a head covering and when I take it off, I feel like something is leaving me.' And that is exactly the feeling. But it's impossible to explain it. It's an internal desire."

The last stage was to go on stage wearing a head covering. "I was embarrassed. I admit it," Ankri confesses. "I felt as if my head was on fire."

The difficulty in going up on stage wearing a head covering did not stem only from embarrassment, says Ankri, "but also from the thought that if I am wearing a head covering then maybe I should stop performing altogether, and that would be a really strong disengagement."

2 comments:

Michelle Therese said...

I'm at a really weird crossroad right now: I'm more then happy to cover full time but I can't seem to find a covering that works. As in... stays on my huge head! I was using square scarves tied under the chin, then around to the back of my neck (brilliant!) but our baby daughter has discovered them and spends the whole time ripping them off of my head haha!

I don't wear those in the house though. I've ordered some smaller mennonite style veils but they won't be here for another month yet. I can't wait to give them a go and see how it works with little miss grab-everything baby!

It's super windy here for most of the year so a lot of head coverings just plain don't work. Even with bobby pins and clips they get blown right off of my head.

Michelle Maddocks said...

thank you for sharing that, Coffee. Hopefully something you read here on my blog might help - or maybe someone will see your comment here and help you out! There are many different ways to deal with different head covers for different days and circumstances - I hope you find what works for you!