Monday, July 21, 2008

Christian Women and Head Coverings

The Bible Thumper's Soapbox: Women and Head Coverings

This is a personal blog, going line by line through the writings of Paul the apostle in 1 Corinthians 11:2-16. This is not a complicated reading, and recommended here.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a couple of Catholic testimonies, which both mention in their blogs the homily presented by Father Robert Fromageot, at Stony Creek Digest, called "Veiling the Sacred."

"The Rosemary Tree" writes:
One hears frequently that one is a reprobate female for wearing a veil in Church. Some veiled ladies visiting modernist churches have overheard a whisper that a "Muslim" was visiting (this when covered Melkite-style - I've been Christian all my life); others question the veiled woman's self-esteem, feminist credentials or orientation to the men in her life. I have, as recently as today, been refused, in a Novus Ordo Mass, the Sign of Peace, refused eye contact and refused conversation, I guess because the head covering makes people uncomortable.

For myself, I was told by Traditionalist friends that it was a good Catholic sacred tradition which had been tossed out, like baby with the bathwater, after Vatican II. I have gradually tried it out of respect for the Melkite and Latin parishes where I frequently visit, and now maintain the custom even when I visit modern (Novus Ordo) churches. ...

"Tea at Trianon" writes:
... It is a practice deeply rooted in Scripture and Tradition. Many people seem to have some scruple about veiling themselves when the other women in the church are bare-headed. To me, it is important to follow one's conscience, not what the people around one are doing or not doing. I do not judge the women who choose to go bare-headed and I hope they are not judging me, but if they are, that is their affair. As for imitating those around me, if I did that, I would not be living a Catholic life.

Ladies often say to me: "I wish I were brave enough to wear a mantilla." Dear Ladies, it requires courage to face death and to shed one's blood for the Gospel. It does not require courage to wear a piece of lace or a beret on one's head. For some, it may be a matter of overcoming human respect. If you are drawn to head coverings, then WEAR one and do not worry about what other people think.

No comments: